Are you on the quest for a DSLR camera that can capture quality photos and record videos in HD? Here are our recommendations for the best DSLR camera for photography and videography for you.
Top 3 Best DSLR Camera for Photography and Videography
The Canon EOS 90D has remarkable ergonomics, efficient eye tracking and connectivity provided. At ease in both photos and videos, little extras like its focusing joystick make it pleasant to use. Its JPEGs present less detail, and the autofocus via the optical viewfinder leaves much to be desired, but it has the advantage of combining excellent responsiveness and good image quality, while being both expert and accessible to novices thanks to its very good ergonomics.
The Nikon D3500 is light and easy to handle. Its autofocus is fast and the image quality at the rendezvous. On the other hand, its videos and its transfer speed are below the competition. This SLR remains interesting for beginners in photography. One of its strengths remains its battery capable of holding several days if you only use the optical viewfinder. If you leave this model “ON” without pressing any button, the battery can last for months in this state. So you have a device that’s always ready to capture the moment.
The Nikon D850 has excellent ergonomics thanks to backlit buttons, a joystick and an XQD port for ultra-fast photos. His pictures, even in JPEG, offer admirable colors. On the connectivity side, this device has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to quickly transfer files. It is weatherproof, but offers fewer options than some hybrids like GPS or water resistance to several meters. Its handling of details and its 45 million pixel sensor come at a price, however.
Our Picks For The Best DSLR Camera for Photography and Videography
|Our Pick, Best Mid-Range
|Best high end
|Canon EOS 90D
|This model offers crop-free 4K video, weather protection, and lifelike colors. It is a great travel companion for those who want quality photos.
|This is the easiest model to learn from our selection. Very light, it has an excellent battery and fast autofocus, while maintaining a particularly affordable price.
|This model is equipped with a 45 million pixel sensor and can read XQD cards for ultra fast photos. With its exceptional image quality, it is aimed at professionals.
How To Choose The Best DSLR Camera for Photography and Videography?
We have reviewed compact cameras and bridges. Their design combines performance and slenderness. Conversely, SLRs want to be more bulky but once the mid-range is reached, the quality of their shots crushes what a smartphone – even a specialized one – can produce as images.
This category with interchangeable lenses and enduring battery is aimed at people who prefer this rendering of images. Beginners and amateurs alike may find them intimidating, especially with the many manual settings on offer, but entry-level models are increasingly becoming more accessible.
If you want to get serious about photography, we have selected a series of SLRs according to these criteria:
- Ergonomics: We looked for reflexes with a pleasant grip. Their weight varies considerably, as does the quality of their optical sight. A model from our comparison also offers graphic explanations to learn about photography. We took these parameters into account to evaluate the grip of the SLRs.
- Image Quality: Contrary to popular belief, it is not related to the number of megapixels, but rather to factors such as the sensor or the level of sensitivity supported, which will have a great influence on the sharpness of the photo and their level of detail . We distinguished between the quality of JPEGs and RAWs when necessary, and paid attention to the colors. In view of their relatively high price, we only integrated one SLR with a full-frame sensor.
- Goal: It is important to choose it according to the desired result. Regularly, the cameras are sold in kit form, with a “master key”, even of poor quality. Unless the kit camera is sold for less than the bare body, we generally recommend that you go with the latter preferably, and then choose a lens that really suits you. However, it is a very difficult choice to make when you are a beginner. We will be sure to advise you soon.
- Video Shooting: Some models offer to shoot in 4K, for an image quality superior to HD. This is a parameter that should be taken care of if you plan to film regularly, as long as you have the equipment to easily read these files. There are, however, some subtleties to be aware of: SLRs don’t necessarily use the entire sensor surface for filming, resulting in lower resolution video.
- Autonomy: Since their operation requires less electronics, SLR cameras generally have better battery life, but it varies greatly depending on the price range in which you invest. It is always a good idea to fit a spare battery into your budget.
- Connectivity: A Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection will make it very easy to share your photos online, directly via your smartphone. Rarer, the headphone and microphone jacks are a real support for the production of videos.