Nikon is a brand with more than 100 years of experience. It is one of the most recognized companies in the world of photography worldwide. To this day, it continues to be at the forefront by launching different models of cameras. Despite its age and the constant competition from the sector, it has managed to remain a relevant and modern brand in the eyes of photography amateurs and professionals. In this Nikon camera buying guide, we will cover everything that you should know before buying a Nikon camera.
Today, many people choose this brand as their favorite. This may be due to the variety of products and accessories it offers. Likewise, the company is at the forefront of technological trends, offering connectivity solutions for greater practicality in transferring photos.
Table of Contents
Things To Remember
- Nikon has different types of cameras. Each of them has specific characteristics that are sought by a class of users for a specific purpose.
- One of the most interesting subcategories of the Nikon brand is its Coolpix cameras. This type of camera is characterized by being submersible in water, withstanding falls and low temperatures.
- Nikon makes its SnapBridge app available to its users. The purpose is to create a connection between the camera and the smartphone O tablet to transfer photos in an easy and practical way. In addition, users will also be able to make use of the free Nikon Image Space automatic storage.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need To Know About Nikon Cameras
Before purchasing a Nikon camera, there are always a number of questions that users generally ask themselves. To clear up some of the most common questions that may exist, we have put together this section that you can see below.
What Types of Nikon Cameras Are There?
The Nikon brand classifies its products into four categories. Next, we will discuss some details of each type of camera.
- Nikon or DSLR digital SLR Cameras: These types of cameras offer astonishing clarity and rich detail. They feature a precision optical viewfinder, ergonomic design, and good battery performance. You can choose between the DX series and the FX series.
- Mirrorless or Mirrorless Cameras: Z-series cameras are ideal for detecting subjects quickly and in low-light conditions for sharp photos. They are lighter, compared to DSLR cameras, and are made of the same resistant material.
- Nikon1 Compact Cameras: They are cameras, aimed at people who like the traditional photographic process.
- Compact Digital Cameras: With this type of camera you can choose between the Zoom and the underwater world. Nikon offers options with DSLR-style superzoom, high-end slim zoom, rugged models, and water-submersible models.
What Lens Adapters Does Nikon Have?
Nikon takes into account the needs of its users. Therefore, it offers you a way to adapt your lenses to your cameras. This is the FTZ mount adapter, which will allow F-mount NIKKOR lenses to work seamlessly with Z-series mirrorless cameras.
Compatibility remains a feature that Nikon keeps in mind for the benefit of its users. You can use the NIKKOR F Mount lenses that you like best with Nikon Z mirrorless cameras.
From the 1959 Nikon F to the D850, they are compatible with virtually all NIKKOR F-Mount lenses.
This adapter will allow you to combine different lenses of the brand with the latest advances in photography offered by Nikon. The FTZ Mount adapter is compatible with more than approximately 360 Nikkor lenses. In addition, 90 of these lenses are of the AF-S, AF-P or AF-I type and have full AF/AE capability.
How Does The Nikon SnapBridge System Work?
Nikon seeks to provide its community with one of the best experiences around photography. In this sense, for the practicality and ease of its users, it has created an application called SnapBridge, available for iOS and Android.
This application creates a connection between the camera and the smartphone or one tablet. You can share your photos at any time and in a very practical way. Also, this application allows you to connect up to five Nikon cameras with your mobile device.
SnapBridge provides the facility to automatically upload your photos to Nikon’s free cloud storage – Nikon Image Space. This also allows you to have a backup of your photos.
Do Nikon Cameras Have Models That Are Water Resistant?
The brand provides a solution to all adventurers so that they can carry their camera without worries such as possible shocks, the weather or the water. Nikon has the Coolpix category aimed at that public that loves to take their camera to totally unthinkable locations.
A camera made for all types of conditions: the beach, swimming pool, lake, field, mountains or places with snow. In general, this type of camera is characterized by being submersible in water, withstanding falls and low temperatures. Here’s a comparison chart of three Nikon Coolpix models:
|Submersible in water
|Works underwater up to 10 meters deep.
|Withstands depths of up to 18 m.
|Resists up to 10 meters deep.
|Resistant a falls
|Resist falls up to 1.5 meters in height.
|Withstands falls of up to 2 meters in height.
|Withstands falls of up to 1.8 meters in height.
|Low temperature resistant
|It resists temperatures down to -10 ° C.
|It resists temperatures down to -10 ° C.
|Withstands temperatures down to -10 ° C.
|Photo and video quality
|High-resolution photos and 1080p Full HD videos with stereo sound.
|Capture still images, 1080p Full HD video, and ultra-smooth slow-motion footage.
|High-quality photos and Full HD 1080p video with stereo sound.
|It has no specifications on connectivity.
|With integrated WiFi connectivity, GPS and electronic compass.
|Wifi, Bluetooth and compatible with SnapBridge.
What Are the New Nikon Camera Models?
|Serie DX: D500,D7500, D5600, D3500.
|Serie FX: D6, D850, D780, D610
However, it must also be remembered that the latest models of the Nikon brand are not the only ones that offer good performance. There are a variety of models that offer similar features and with which you will also achieve great photo and video quality.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Nikon Camera
If you are looking to purchase a Nikon camera, it is important that you take into account a number of purchase criteria. For this reason, we have taken care of selecting those that we consider to be the most relevant and we will detail them below.
The Nikon brand offers different types of lenses for cameras. First of all, we have the mirrorless or NIKKOR Z lenses, they are compact lenses. These lenses have the advantage of adapting to the mirrorless cameras of the Z series. They are also designed based on the new Z mount. This in order to obtain the highest optical image quality.
On the other hand, DSLR lenses are pieces with more than 80 years of manufacture, designed with the aim of seeking high quality optics. There is a NIKKOR lens for every occasion or use that the photographer wants to give it. Likewise, we can mention that Nikon has more than 90 NIKKOR lenses giving the user a wide variety of options.
Nikon’s DSLR camera is considered the favorite of professional photographers. Its power, speed and performance are the characteristics that make it stand out. They provide great clarity and detail. This is thanks to the fact that these cameras are designed with NIKKOR lenses, which are recognized worldwide. In digital SLR cameras we can find three types:
- DX DSLR Cameras: Some of the latest models are the D500, D7500, D5600, D3500.
- FX Full Frame DSLR Cameras: Some of the latest models are the D6, D850, D780, D610
- DSLR cameras for special purposes: Some of the latest models are the Nikon DF (modern and classic), D810A (astrophotography).
The image sensor is the element of the camera that detects and captures the information that makes up the image. In Nikon cameras we can find two types of sensors: the FX and the DX. At first we can see the difference in size of these two types. The DX-format sensor, being the smallest, measures 24x16mm. On the other hand, the FX sensor being the largest, it measures 36×24 mm.
- FX format: It has more light gathering area, offers higher sensitivity and generally lower noise. However, this sensor does not have the crop factor available.
- DX format: This sensor makes it possible to produce smaller and lighter cameras. However, the image projected by the lens has a cropping factor of 1.5x. For example, if you have a 24mm lens on a camera with a DX sensor, it will give you an approximate 36mm view.
If we talk about recording video, you probably have among the first options the Nikon D7500 camera, a reflex camera with a 20.9 megapixel APS-C sensor. This type of camera allows you to record in 4K at 30 fps and in full HD at 60 fps. In addition, another of its benefits is its 3.2-inch touch screen.
Some relevant features that you can take into account is the ISO capability. This should be able to record in low light conditions, without increasing noise. Now, if you have a higher budget, you can consider the Nikon D500 as a more attractive option. You can enjoy greater coverage, more focus points and improved autofocus.
The ease of having a camera with connectivity allows you to take photos and then transfer them wirelessly to your phone. You no longer need a cable to pass your photos, you can share them instantly via Wifi or Bluetooth.
The Nikon brand has implemented the SnapBridge system available for iOS and Android. This system quickly and easily shares photos with other compatible smart devices. A new way to make use of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on compatible Nikon cameras.
The Nikon brand has provided high-quality products for years. To this day, it continues to offer its users solutions related to the world of photography. From reflex cameras, compact cameras or products for specific uses.
Nikon continues to stay ahead of market trends. A great example is its SnapBridge app and free cloud storage for its users. It should come as no surprise that every year it has a new innovative feature in its products or some other benefit for its users.
Finally, we hope that we have helped you with this guide and that this information is useful in your election process. You can leave us your comments or share this article through your social networks.